Levee Assessment, Victoria, Australia
Bete Bolong (near Orbost), Robinvale, Tyntynder Flats (near Swan Hill), Kerang, Cobram and Wangaratta
The levees have ranged from about 1m to over 5m in height, however the average height is approximately 1.5m.
Most existing levees investigated have been in poor condition, having been constructed many years ago, often immediately prior to an imminent flood using horses, carts and skips. The soils are usually locally won and are placed in the shape of a levee without moisture conditioning or any formal mechanical compaction. In terms of engineered water retaining structures, the levees are considered to be inadequate. However, they have often stood the test of time and have (just) held back floodwaters at critical times.
When asked to provide recommendations on new levees or major rejuvenation of existing levees, ATC Williams has designed appropriate well engineered structures. This has sometimes not been met with joy from our clients, who simply can’t afford to construct them.
To solve this dilemma, we developed a risk management approach.
The client accepts that the levee may be at risk during a flood event and that emergency measures may need to be carried out, but the risk of failure is minimised by the maintenance of certain minimal standards in the levee which are within the capabilities of the owner.
- Anglo American PLC, Lisheen Mine, Templemore, Tipperary, Ireland
- Peak Gold Mines Pty Ltd, Peak Gold Mine, Cobar, Central Western New South Wales, Australia
- Bendigo Mining Ltd, Bendigo Gold Project, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
- Central Highlands Water, Dam Condition Assessment, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- National Iranian Copper Industries Co, Shur River Dam, Sar Cheshmah, Iran
- Iluka Resources, WRP Mineral Sands Mine, Ouyen, North West Victoria, Australia
- Kappes, Cassidy and Associates, Beyinhar Gold Mine, Mongolia China
- Bachy Pty Ltd, Wharf 9, King Street Wharf Precinct, Sydney, Australia
- Patterson Architects and WA Dept. Housing and Works, Gosnells Quarry Stabilisation, Gosnells, Western Australia, Australia
For further information please contact:
Charles Vuillier on 0435087562 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org