WRP Mine, Ouyen, Victoria, Australia
2000 – 2012
In 2000 we carried out an investigation and pit slope design in conjunction with AMC Consultants P/L (AMC) for the Iluka Resources Limited (Iluka) proposed WRP open cut mineral sands mine in north-west Victoria.
ATC Williams and AMC both have a long history of involvement with Iluka projects. In this case we were lead consultant responsible for completing the following:
- Geotechnical investigation and providing geotechnical information for design purposes.
- Design of the Plant site including footing bearing pressures on natural soils and fill pads.
- Design of road pavements and hardstand areas preliminary investigation of a Tailings Storage Facility (TSF).
- AMC completed the design of the pit slopes, using the results of laboratory testing carried out by us.
Obtaining suitable undisturbed samples of the sandy soils for laboratory triaxial testing was a critical issue for the project. Previous attempts using conventional coring techniques had limited success. We approached drilling company Boart Longyear and requested a modified SONIC drilling method for the investigation. The modification comprised using polycarbonate liners in the head drilling barrel and the pushing of the barrel without rotation and without the use of water or any other drilling fluid. The modified SONIC drilling method worked extremely well and excellent undisturbed samples of materials ranging from no fines sand to heavily indurated sand were recovered for subsequent laboratory testing.
The geotechnical investigation, interpretation and design work was completed successfully and we completed the following additional works since the initial investigation work:
- Detailed site investigation for the TSF.
- TSF Design.
- TSF construction supervision.
- Periodic audits of the performance of the TSF.
- ATC Williams Laboratory, Melbourne, Australia
- ATC Williams Laboratory, Soil Testing
- ATC Williams Laboratory, Specialised Tailings Testing
- Kappes, Cassidy and Associates, Beyinhar Gold Mine, Mongolia China
- Bachy Pty Ltd, Wharf 9, King Street Wharf Precinct, Sydney, Australia
- Patterson Architects and WA Dept. Housing and Works, Gosnells Quarry Stabilisation, Gosnells, Western Australia, Australia
- Levee Assessment, Victoria - Bete Bolong (Near Orbost), Robinvale, Tyntynder Flats (Near Swan Hill), Kerang, Cobram and Wangaratta in Australia
For further information please contact:
Charles Vuillier on 0435087562 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org